Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bees attack family at city park in Dania Beach, Fla.

DANIA BEACH, Fla. (WSVN) -- A family was sent to the hospital after being stung by bees at a South Florida park.
Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue crews responded to the scene at Greenbelt Park, located near Griffin Road and Northwest 10th Avenue near the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport, Monday.
Tamera Doyle, her daughter and her two grandchildren, ages 2 and 11 months, were stung by bees at the park. Reportedly, the family was rolling down a hill at the park when they disturbed a beehive. "We were at the park. We were walking. We sat down, let the kids play, run around. All of a sudden, my daughter started yelling at me. Something, I couldn't even understand what she was saying at first," said Doyle. "I looked at her, and I just saw swarms around her and the 2-year-old, so I ran and grabbed the baby, the 2-year-old. I thought the 11-month-old in the stroller was far enough out of the way that he wasn't getting swarmed, but he was."
Doyle's daughter called 911, but the bees had already surrounded the family. "There was bees everywhere. I mean, they were in our ears. They were between her and I. They were everywhere, in our clothing, " Doyle said.
Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue transported the family to Broward General Medical Center. Meanwhile, deputies and county workers blocked off the area from which they believe the bees came.
The children did not have an allergic reaction to the bee stings, and the family is expected to survive. Doyle said, "I've seen it on TV, and you don't realize how terrible it is until you're the one being swarmed, and not even you, until you're watching your children be swarmed."

See the rest of the story here

No comments:

Post a Comment